Click on the website links below to access abstracts and publications
Youngs, Yolonda. Framing Nature: The Creation of an American Icon at the Grand Canyon. University of Nebraska Press. (Under Contract. Manuscript complete. Book project in process)
16. Buckley, Geoffrey and Yolonda Youngs, eds. 2018. The American Environment Revisited: Environmental Historical Geographies of the United States. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers.
Journal Articles, Book Chapters, and Reviews (peer reviewed)
15. Youngs, Y. Yellowstone Lake. In Designs Upon Nature: The Cultural Landscape of Yellowstone National Park edited by William Wyckoff and Karl Byrand. Staunton, VA: George F. Thompson Publishing. (Forthcoming)
14. Youngs, Y. 2019. Viewing Power and Place at the Grand Canyon. Journal of Arizona History. Special GRCA Centennial Issue. Invited submission.
13. Youngs, Y. 2018. Wild, Unpredictable, and Dangerous: A Historical Geography of Hazards and Risk in U.S. National Parks. In The American Environment Revisited: Environmental Historical Geographies of the U.S. edited by Geoffrey Buckley and Yolonda Youngs. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers.
12. Youngs, Y. 2017. Constructing Place Attachment in Grand Teton National Park. In Explorations in Place Attachment: A Geographic Perspective, Edited by Jeffrey S. Smith. Series: Routledge Research in Culture, Space, and Identity Series. CRC Press-Taylor & Francis Group.
11. Meyer, J. and Y. Youngs. 2017. Historical Landscape Change in Yellowstone National Park: Demonstrating the Value of Intensive Field Observation and Repeat Photography. Geographical Review, 108 (3): 387 – 409.
10. Youngs, Y. 2015. Review of Creating the American West: Boundaries and Borderlands (Derek Everett, University of Oklahoma Press, 2014). Journal of American History 102 (3): 872.
9. McBeth, M., Turley-Ames, K., Youngs, Y., Ahola-Young, L., Brumfield, A. 2015. The iPad Pilot Project: A Faculty Driven Effort to Use Mobile Technology in the Reinvention of the Liberal Arts. Journal of Teaching and Learning Technology. 4 (1): 1-21.
8. Youngs, Y. 2014. Shaping Tourism. In North American Odyssey: Historical Geographies for the Twenty-First Century edited by Craig Colten and Geoffrey Buckley. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers.
7. Youngs, Y. 2014. Review of Making of Rocky Mountain National Park: The Environmental History of an American Treasure (Frank, Jerry J., Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Press, 2013). Invited Review for H-Environment, H-Net Reviews. Published November 24, 2014.
6. Youngs, Y. 2012. Editing Nature in Grand Canyon National Park Postcards. Geographical Review. 102 (4): 486-509.
5. Youngs, Y. 2013. Review of Observation Points: The Visual Poetics of National Parks (Thomas Patin, ed, Univ. of Minnesota Press, 2012). Journal of Cultural Geography. 30 (2): 266-271.
4. Youngs, Y. 2012. Review of Yellowstone Denied: The Life of Gustavus Cheyney Doane (Kim Allen Scott, Univ. of Oklahoma Press, 2007). Historical Geography. 40 (1): 229-230.
3. Youngs, Y. 2011. On Grand Canyon Postcards. Environmental History. 16 (1): 138-147.
2. Youngs, Y. 2011. Mapping an Enchanted Solitude: Cartographic Representations of Yellowstone National Park, U.S.A. Proceedings of the 25th International Cartographic Conference.
1. Youngs, Y., White, D. and Wodrich, J. 2008. Transportation Systems as Cultural Landscapes in National Parks: A Historical and Interpretive Study of Visitors’ Transportation Behavior in Yosemite Valley. Society and Natural Resources: An International Journal. 21 (9): 797-811.
Other publications (not peer-reviewed)
Geil, K. and Y. Youngs. 2018. Oral Histories of Exum Mountain Guides Who Began Guiding Between 1947 and 1965. University of Wyoming National Park Service Research Center Annual Report (2018). In Press 2020 (delayed press due to administrative changes UWNPS)
Youngs, Y. 2016. Tracing the Cultural History of the Upper Snake River Guides in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. University of Wyoming National Park Service Research Center Annual Report. In Press 2020 (delayed press due to administrative changes UWNPS).
Y. Youngs. 2015. Creating a Digital Wonderland: Environmental and Cultural History in the Digital Age. Ant, Spider, Bee. Rachel Carson Center Environmental and Society. Published online July 21, 2015. Invited essay.
Hirt, P. and Y. Youngs. 2012. A Century of Tourism at Grand Canyon. Canyon Views. Fall 2012, Volume XIX (3): 6-7. Invited essay.
White, D., Youngs, Y., Wodrich, J., Borcherding, T. 2006 (March). Visitor Experiences and Transportation Systems in Yosemite National Park, Final Technical Report. National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Youngs, Y. 2008. Beyond Parks as Polygons: Historical GIS, National Parks, and Opportunities that Beckon Historical Geographers. Past Place: The Newsletter of the Historical Geography Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers. 16 (2): 5-6.